Thursday, March 11, 2021

Akata Witch by Nnedi Okoafor - 4 Stars

 Sunny is a 12 year old girl who was born in America, but is living in Nigeria. She has African features, but is Albino. She loves to play soccer, but can't be out in the sun. Sunny feels that she doesn't fit in anywhere.
But soon she finds out that she is part of a magical community. She is soon paired with 3 other children who have different magical abilities. The 4 of them are learning their abilities, but must band together to defeat an evil being trying to destroy the world.

The book has been dubbed the Nigerian Harry Potter and it lives up to that. I felt like I was reading Harry Potter, but set in a different country.
This tag is out of my comfort zone, but I really enjoy Harry Potter, so when I seen this one I thought I'd give it a try. I am glad that I did. I really enjoyed it. This is a series and book 2 is out, so I may put that on my wish list.

No comments:

Post a Comment